HEMAA Business Cards

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: HEMAA Business Cards

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 am

Business cards are nice because they are standardized, professional, and most importantly pocket/wallet-sized. If all you're looking for is to pass on contact information, a business card seems like an ideal vehicle. Brochures serve an entirely different purpose.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Ben Jarashow
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Jarashow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:37 am

Michael Chidester wrote:Business cards are nice because they are standardized, professional, and most importantly pocket/wallet-sized. If all you're looking for is to pass on contact information, a business card seems like an ideal vehicle. Brochures serve an entirely different purpose.

Yep. But because this conversation started with the following:

jcostantino wrote: or instructions on how to connect with a local group.

I wanted to illustrate that IF our purpose is to give more information than only the contact info, it may be worth considering...

Personally, I would rather give out something with more info on a larger format, partly so they have more information readily available when they get home (they will have forgotten anything you actually told them in person by that time), and also because it's harder for them to lose than a small card (if they "actively lose" it, they weren't going to do anything with the info anyway...) - to me, 'wallet-sized' means 'put in the purse for a year, THEN thrown out when it's found'. A postcard is also pocket sized, mostly... :)
A man with facial hair is often an outright villain. It also scores extra evil points if combined with a shaven head. A goatee is a staple of Evil Twins everywhere.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilTwin

Jeremy S.
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremy S. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 am

FWIW, we've had more responses from small handbill and postcard-sized handouts than we used to with business cards.
Last edited by Jeremy S. on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing my love for all things sharp and pointy
Western Swordsmanship Technique and Research
HEMA Alliance

Steven H

Postby Steven H » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:35 am

Ben Jarashow wrote:Steven, any chance of sending out your final as an open-source so we (other groups, etc) might tailor it to our personal taste?

That's precisely what I'll do.

But my reason for suggesting it as an Alliance project stands in that it will get more of them out there than just making a design available to people will.

GC Question: Do I need formal permission to use the Alliance logo? If so, how do I get it?

Cheers,
Steven
Athena School of Arms - Longsword & Highland Broadsword
Fight with All Your Strength
Swords of Chivalry - Youth Swordsmanship in Acton, MA

Steven H

Postby Steven H » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am

Fundamentally there a are a couple of related things being discussed here:

Random Opportunity for Promotion: For example: I wear my "Swords are Fun" shirt in public, or my Longpoint "Fight Me" shirt etc. And in doing so, some guy says, "why do you have that on your shirt". I talk to that guy and hand him a HEMAA business card. If he's local I also hand him my business card. The reason it's a card is because I'm not going to carry around something bigger with me everywhere I go.

At An Event: I go all over New England, and as far south at New Jersey, promoting HEMA. At event I meet lot's of people and promote HEMA to them. I give out postcards to anyone who is local, and might take a class from me. But lot's of these folks aren't local.* And sometimes I don't even know which group is local to them, depending on where they are from. The Alliance card is good here because it gives them a follow-up tool. For that population I'm not going to spend the money on giving out postcards - the expected return to me is $0.

* Another solution is, of course, for groups to give me there cards or other promotional material to hand out at events. I send out an email each year asking for just such from every NE group that I know about. Almost nobody responds though.

It's not that the postcard sized larger item isn't better. It's a matter of when will I use it. (If the Alliance just sent me brochures I'd hand 'em out like candy at events :D

Cheers,
Steven

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

Well said. You should probably include a link to the Global Map (http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686) on the card somewhere in addition to other contact information.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Steven H

Postby Steven H » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 am

Michael Chidester wrote:Well said. You should probably include a link to the Global Map (http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686) on the card somewhere in addition to other contact information.

Thanks for the suggestion. I knew something like that must exist.

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:05 pm

I'll send you a high-res version of the logo. PM me your email.

Business cards, flyers, handouts, etc is the kind of thing I wanted for last month's challenge. I'm planning on making a "Promotional Resources" area on the HEMAA website to store the various different advertising materials for our groups and anyone interested in using them. I also have something else in the works for affliated groups, but it's not ready for prime time.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Kody Tench
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Kody Tench » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I would like a copy of the finished business cards as well when they are finished, that way I can get some printed up for our group if its not oo much trouble.
Blood for Blood and Azphelpenumbra.

Jordan Hinckley
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jordan Hinckley » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:26 am

These exist, or existed. I have a stack from a few years ago.
"Though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment." The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley
http://www.TheUCSA.com

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”