*HEMA ALLIANCE PRESS Opinions

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: *HEMA ALLIANCE PRESS Opinions

Postby Richard Marsden » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Michael-Forest, thanks for answering. My questions are for the Alliance Press team (whoever it ends up being) as a whole and the list is something for myself to refer back to. Not all the questions need be answered now, and not all of them by you in particular in case you've answered already.

Clarifications

(I had been, but then my education/"day job" got in the way.)

Is this still the case for you?

Why would an author use any publisher's services?

Tell me what our pitch to an author is to use us over anything else. Or are we doing the 'if we build it they will come' approach. Or is there another route in mind? Here's a neat service? I don't think any are 'bad'.

Are you simply hostile to anything like a traditional publisher, Richard?

No. Love me.

Define "demand". There have been authors who had intended to use these services, yes. Given the discussion which has already occurred, you already knew this.

I remain curious for others to chime in if they are ready or near ready or are thinking about it. The level of importance in my book rises based off of need/desire.

Thanks for the rest of the answers. I'll keep an eye on this thread, but not bombard it for a bit to let others say their peace.

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:45 pm

Richard Marsden wrote:Michael-Forest, thanks for answering. My questions are for the Alliance Press team (whoever it ends up being) as a whole and the list is something for myself to refer back to. Not all the questions need be answered now, and not all of them by you in particular in case you've answered already.

To my knowledge, the Press team is Jake and me.

Clarifications

(I had been, but then my education/"day job" got in the way.)

Is this still the case for you?

Yes. I'll be in China much of the year (thus my declining my nomination to the GC. Again.)

Why would an author use any publisher's services?

Tell me what our pitch to an author is to use us over anything else. Or are we doing the 'if we build it they will come' approach. Or is there another route in mind? Here's a neat service? I don't think any are 'bad'.

I don't think the editing team has enough time on their hands to be worrying about actively soliciting at this point in time. It would be a great problem to have, however, if that were not the case.

Thanks for the rest of the answers. I'll keep an eye on this thread, but not bombard it for a bit to let others say their peace.

No problem. There are a few things that need to be codified a little better for the Press, and we do need to get a standard contract written.
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Honestly, three years into the game, I'd say this isn't a project with a good cost - benefit lay down. It never took off because, in my opinion, no one really, truly wanted it who was also willing to put the work into their own book. No biggie, but I don't imagine that will change anytime soon. I'm happy to advise anyone, but I don't think trying to resurrect a program that was never really used is all that worthwhile.

Just an opinion.

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 am

From my point of view as someone who runs an organisation offering educational programmes, who is active in the community (but not a HEMAA member myself), I think Jake might have the right idea here.

Perhaps what might be most useful in place of the current programme would be a document, report or article that provides advice, guidance and suggestions to authors. If there are maybe also a team of advisors who don't mind talking to a prospective author, maybe to go into a bit more depth about a specific issue than the general information document, that could be useful. But some kind of how-to guide outlining the process of setting up a book through traditional publishers (such as Paladin or Freelance) or how to go about setting it up yourself (through Lulu, Creative Space, whatever) might be the best way for the HEMAA to support budding authors without committing to run a programme that hasn't really had much use in the last few years. It would be what I would do in my organisation if I had a programme that wasn't being used - I might just retire the programme and replace it with guidance notes.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 am

KeithFarrell wrote:From my point of view as someone who runs an organisation offering educational programmes, who is active in the community (but not a HEMAA member myself), I think Jake might have the right idea here.

Perhaps what might be most useful in place of the current programme would be a document, report or article that provides advice, guidance and suggestions to authors. If there are maybe also a team of advisors who don't mind talking to a prospective author, maybe to go into a bit more depth about a specific issue than the general information document, that could be useful. But some kind of how-to guide outlining the process of setting up a book through traditional publishers (such as Paladin or Freelance) or how to go about setting it up yourself (through Lulu, Creative Space, whatever) might be the best way for the HEMAA to support budding authors without committing to run a programme that hasn't really had much use in the last few years. It would be what I would do in my organisation if I had a programme that wasn't being used - I might just retire the programme and replace it with guidance notes.
There are literally thousands of books and guides out there on how to get published and self-publish. That said, if someone in HEMA has the time and desire to write a HEMA-specific guide on publishing a book, they're more than welcome to.

With the rise of the Wiktenauer and similar online resources, though, it's true that many of the works that perhaps would have gotten support from the Alliance Press seem to be moving to online (free) publication. While often these works are less polished than a well-edited published book, the functionality is entirely there, and it's a much simpler and straightforward path—and perhaps more useful. (I do consider it a good thing that the Community as a whole is becoming more open in this regard.) While having an Alliance Press makes sense to me in principle, we may not simply have the manpower to even keep it as an option for potential authors right now.

BTW, Keith, when are you going to join the Alliance so I can nominate you for the Governing Council?
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:54 am

Michael-Forest wrote:BTW, Keith, when are you going to join the Alliance so I can nominate you for the Governing Council?

As soon as there is a tangible benefit for those of us who aren't resident in North America :P
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Jonathan Mayshar

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:53 pm

I'd like to simplify this, though maybe it isn't as simple as I'd like it to be.

We have editors. Jason Taylor is an excellent editor and has published a grammar text. We have experienced people who can help with layout and format.

We don't need to run after people and beg them to write books we can put our logo on, and we don't have to see it as a missed opportunity if a member can, and wants to, publish entirely without us.

What we should do is make it clear that IF someone brings us material and wants help, and IF we think that material merits the effort, then we will, in addition to helping, be prepared to pay a significant amount of the up-front costs (perhaps all of them) that justify having a publisher's cut.
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 am

Here's my take:

The path of least resistance would be for the "HEMA Alliance Press" to be more of an imprint than a true publisher. The HAP volunteers could provide however much or little help an author needed (with a fee or percentage negotiated for the Alliance as needed). As part of the Alliance's involvement the manuscript would be reviewed to make sure it met the professional and martial standards of the Alliance. It would then be printed POD and promoted by the Alliance.

What the author gets:
The imprint's name, logo, notoriety, endorsement, and marketing power of the Alliance.

What the Alliance gets:
Supporting HEMA research, a "cut of the action" in some cases, a "feather in it's cap" by way of it's own press, the ability to further promote the brand, etc.

In fact, if a smooth, turnkey operation was implemented, I could see the benefit to the press supporting the release of lots of smaller books, booklets, papers, article compilations, and so forth that already exist in soft copy, but that people would be willing to pay for a POD physical copy also. Authors like to be printed.
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”