Updating the search function?

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
KeithFarrell

Updating the search function?

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:02 am

I use the search function regularly on this forum, to find quotes or information I remember reading from some time ago. Forums are an excellent repository for information; but their value becomes less when it is difficult to find that information again. Currently, the search function does not actually perform a search when it regards certain words as "too common". For example, I was recently searching for "plastic swords" because I wanted to see a discussion about them from a year or two ago, and the search function said:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: plastic swords.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

I find this error occurs frequently when I want to search for things. However, it does not crop up when I do in fact search for common words such as "instantly" or "buckler". It does filter out "Liechtenauer" as being too common, yet it brings up 1400+ entries for "Fiore". I find this feature of the search function to be very problematic: if I use alternate words that allow the search to go forwards, then inevitably I won't be able to find the thread I'm looking for, since it used a specific phrase or set of words that the search function deemed too common, and did not contain the alternate words that the search function allowed me to use. This makes searching the archives a much more difficult task than it should be.

Would it be possible to update or modify the search function to remove the test for common words, or otherwise to make it so that I can actually search for certain combinations of words?
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Davinel

Re: Updating the search function?

Postby Davinel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm

KeithFarrell wrote:Would it be possible to update or modify the search function to remove the test for common words, or otherwise to make it so that I can actually search for certain combinations of words?

This!
I have the same problem as Keith and being able to use "search term" for exact word combination searches would be really great!

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 pm

+1
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:46 pm

I've hated this problem for a long time.

You guys should try your searches again. 8-)
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:02 am

If you're upgrading the forum, does that mean we'll see tapatalk support soon?
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:47 am

Ben Floyd wrote:IYou guys should try your searches again. 8-)

Superb! Thank you very much for doing this :)
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Michael Chidester wrote:If you're upgrading the forum, does that mean we'll see tapatalk support soon?

No. Mayshar couldn't get it to work, and he's the only one with access to the server.

KeithFarrell wrote:Superb! Thank you very much for doing this :)

I only regret not looking into it sooner.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:00 am

Ben Floyd wrote:
Michael Chidester wrote:If you're upgrading the forum, does that mean we'll see tapatalk support soon?

No. Mayshar couldn't get it to work, and he's the only one with access to the server.

Okay, I think I understand. Mayshar is the Chosen One, and surely the Gods would smite any other mortal who dared approach the Sanctum of the Holy Server. And, of course, Tapatalk is one of the Magics of the Ancients that we no longer understand, so if Mayshar can't decipher the relevant part of the Scroll of Knowledge, we just have to accept that it lies forever out of our reach and pray that the Age of Miracles should return again. Got it.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:54 pm

No one else has access to the server because it lies in the Realm of the Forbidden. From my understanding, it is guarded by the Dragon of the Information Privacy Act. We've previously talked about moving the server to the Empire of Paid Servers, but as it stands, the Realm of the Forbidden is awkwardly placed in the middle of the Kingdom of Free Server Fees.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 pm

You lost me again.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”