*Safety Survey Project

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
adminteam
Site Admin

*Safety Survey Project

Postby adminteam » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 am

Michael-Forest Meservy has agreed to lead this HEMA Alliance Project. The Safety Survey will take place in two rounds. The first round is a general request for safety policy and philisophy info from HEMA groups worldwide. Once this data has been compiled we will create a specific survey that we will send out. The information-gathering phase will be followed by a "best practices" paper which will compare with safety standards in other martial arts and in sports.

The Safety Survey will not publish safety information about groups with identifying information unless those groups select not to be anonymous. The Safety Survey will not be rating groups for safety.

This Project needs Team Members and volunteers with the following skills:
organizational
office
research
writing
professional communication

Those interested or with questions may post to this thread or contact Michael at Michael.Meservy@hemaalliance.com

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Safety Survey Project*

Postby Michael-Forest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 am

If you're interested in helping out with this project as a volunteer of some sorts, please contact me.

I'll be contacting all the groups that I can get a hold of as part of the study. If I happen to contact you or your group, I'd really appreciate your cooperation with this project—the idea is to get as comprehensive a picture of HEMA safety practices as we can right now, and the more groups who are willing to participate, the better an idea we'll have.
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Mike Cartier
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Mike Cartier » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:55 am

I will answer here as I am happy to have our safety record and methods public.

We have had no significant issues wityh safety over our8-9 year study group history, I beleive I have sustained the worst injuries

1 fractured finger from a wooden freeplay bout
1 head split with a padded longsword
1 head split with a padded staff
I borken hand from a padded longsword

We bout extensivly and regularly with steel, both with hand and head protection and without as part of our concept of multiple training tools (i can outline this for you if you like)

Our safety philosophy is simple, there is no such thing as safety equipment without control, with control all things are possible. Without control all methods are dangerous. With this in mind we drill to an extent that control is attainable for all members and therefore safety is not an issue. The double plus good side of that is control is also what is necessary for proper fight mechanics so it all works towards a good goal.

We fight with all targets, anything goes, ground work and unarmed strikes used within reason and all parts of the swords within reason. Thrustiung is allowed with proper control. I have taken several good thrusts from the Albions and they just bruise and of course face thrusts are out. We have a flexible freeplay ruleset agreed to by the participants before the match, noone is pushed to do anything they dont want to.
-mike cartier
Freyfechter
Meyer Freifechter Guild South Florida
http://www.freifechter.com

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 am

Just by way of notice (long, long overdue), I contacted 20 or so groups via email for this, and I did not receive a single response from the groups I contacted. I'm not sure how to approach the topic at this point.
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Jeremy S.
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremy S. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:12 am

Michael-Forest wrote:...I did not receive a single response... I'm not sure how to approach the topic at this point.

Public shaming? :twisted:

Was just a single email sent, or was there a followup request?

I can get you my group's info if that'll help any, and can twist the arms of a few other groups I'm in contact with regularly.
Sharing my love for all things sharp and pointy
Western Swordsmanship Technique and Research
HEMA Alliance

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 am

I'm not sure if I'll have the time to handle this project anymore at the moment, but if someone would like to take it over...
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:36 pm

I'd like to help with information on safety!

Before Western Martial arts I was with a group that used rapiers and side-swords aggressively. Damage over a period of 15 years was very low.

Our group encountered... (15 years)
Bruised ribs. Healed fast. Common injury.
Broken rib. Healed slow. Very rare.
Finger smashed till the nail turns blue and you need to heat up a metal needle and run it through to let the pressure out. Rare.
My helmet fell off and my head was struck. Lots of blood. Healed fast. One-time event. No one else suffered head damage.
Shoulder injury from a stunt-roll. Longest-lasting damage and not due to anything involving a blade or trainer.
Bruising. Common, but heals fast.
Concussions from impact to the helmet.
One broken tooth from impact to the helmet.

Since getting involved in WMA material and with High School kids and adults...

Our group encountered... (4 years)
Bruising. Common, but heals fast.
Finger damage from longsword plastic trainers. Bruised nails. We used to get them frequently, but far less now.
Finger damage from longsword plastic trainer. Strike on top of finger caused fat to shoot out bottom of finger. One time event.
Concussion from impact to the helmet. One time event.

With the High School kids we are far more restrained and bruising is the worst we've taken in 4 years.

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”