Project Proposal - Rigid Hand Protection

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Bill Welch

Re: Project Proposal - Rigid Hand Protection

Postby Bill Welch » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 pm

I have been considering making something like that out of pieces from a plastic 55 gallon barrel. The barrel plastic is considerably thicker, and I think would stand powerful blows. But would I think I could form it with a heat gun.
I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jean Chandler

Postby Jean Chandler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 am

Just an update, we have continued to use our plastic and leather mitten gauntlets. Both are working well with steel and nylon, but we have had some pieces break off of the plastic ones when fighting with steel. The leather have been the best for us so far, perhaps that is counterintuitive.

J

Bill Welch

Postby Bill Welch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Well I wouldn't think it is counter intuitive at all. Leather is not brittle, nor would it work harden and become brittle. Over time I would assume plastic would get brittle, being hit it would micro fracture or fracture, leading to weakness and break. While leather if oiled would become suppler.

Jean Chandler

Postby Jean Chandler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 am

We just weren't sure if the leather would be as strong of protection, since it's not as stiff, but it seems to work better. I think we are sticking with the leather for the time being.

J

Bill Welch

Postby Bill Welch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Has anyone considered doing boiled leather for hand protection? It would certainly make it easier to form and would make it stiffer.

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Bill Welch wrote:Has anyone considered doing boiled leather for hand protection? It would certainly make it easier to form and would make it stiffer.

I've wondered that, too. A big advantage for me would be that I could do it in my apartment, since I live in a high-rise without a workshop.

tauman
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby A Froster » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Steven Reich wrote:
Bill Welch wrote:Has anyone considered doing boiled leather for hand protection? It would certainly make it easier to form and would make it stiffer.

I've wondered that, too. A big advantage for me would be that I could do it in my apartment, since I live in a high-rise without a workshop.

tauman

I have actually been trying to make some customized "underarmour" using boiled and then dried hardened leather. My idea is to make pieces customized for my hand size covering my thumb and pinkie metacarpals. Also customized pieces to cover between my two knuckles on my thumb, forefinger and little finger. The idea was to make it form fitting enough to be able to slide an oversized motocross glove over the underarmour (flexibility and protection). Preferably I would use a motocross glove that had hard protection for the large knuckles already built in. The customized pieces will have holes cut into them where small Velcro straps are attached that would hold the pieces firmly into place on the fingers.

I decided to start by building the protective pieces for the thumb and pinkie metacarpals first since those two bones would be the hardest to protect. This is because the thumb metacarpal needs to move up and down and back and forth in order to have a full range of motion. The thumb metacarpal is also a hard bone to protect since there is nothing to strap the customized leather protector too. What I decided to make was a thumb metacarpal protector and a pinkie metacarpal protector tied together by a piece of elastic. This would hold both pieces in place under the glove and allow for movement of the thumb metacarpal. Pictured below is my first attempt. If I can make it stay in place under the glove and be comfortable, it will protect against blows to those two bones. Please forgive the fact that it is being held together with zip ties in the picture. I haven't picked up my elastic bands yet.

It is actually pretty easy and the leather forms easier to your hand than anything else I've found. Plus once it is dry it will disperse the full force of an edge blow. It might crack but it will prevent you hand bones from getting cracked which is what you want it to do. If the customized piece is damaged, it's easy to make another one.

On a few online tutorials I found out when you boil leather, two things will happen. 1) the leather will become almost twice as thick and 2) the leather will shrink approximately 40% so keep that in mind when you are cutting a piece to go around your finger. After the leather is boiled in water, it is very pliable. That is the time for shaping it; making holes for straps and so on. Once it dries , the leather has the consistency of ceramic or wood and is hard. I use sand paper for final shaping so the sharp edges don't dig into my hand.
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.

Bill Welch

Postby Bill Welch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I was considering making a mitten gauntlet. I think (now I might be wrong) it would be very effective. Padding might be a trick to find something that is not to thick but will still give a cushion.

ShaunnM.W.

Postby ShaunnM.W. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Bill Welch wrote:I was considering making a mitten gauntlet. I think (now I might be wrong) it would be very effective. Padding might be a trick to find something that is not to thick but will still give a cushion.

A mitten gauntlet can be very effective, as long as you build it right. I highly reccomend taking a look at some pictures, although in person would be better if you can manage it, especially if you can put them on. I had the luck to try a buddies on, and they were pretty nice. Padding shouldn't be a problem, you might just have to do some looking to find something with the right thickness and density.
Rule #12. If you are frightened easily, do not learn fencing.
Andre Paurñfeyndt

http://www.ironcrown.us/

Bill Welch

Postby Bill Welch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Well I am in the process of making one of boiled leather, well not exactly but close enough. The process I am using seems to make the leather hard but not too hard. it takes a while, but so far so good when I get it together I will post some pics.

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”