Project Proposal - Rigid Hand Protection

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Christopher Wheeler
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Project Proposal - Rigid Hand Protection

Postby Christopher Wheeler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Yeah, I've seen the Schmitthenner site, what concerns me about those are that I'm not sure the thumb is so much capped, as it is pre-formed with a curve. Also, it looks like it's locked in place - many SCA gauntlets are designed with that with no flexibility in the thumb (forced hyperextension of the thumb backwards, causing really bad tearing of connective tissue, is apparently one of the more common injuries amongst polearm and great weapon fighters who use flexible-thumb gauntlets in the SCA). However, for our use, we need that thumb flexibility for proper German-style gripping (if you practice German-style longsword, I don't remember off the top of my head what your personal background is), which is why I'm curious about the by-the-sword design. Fixing rivets isn't too much of a problem for me, riveters aren't that expensive, and I'm no against the idea of re-enforcing the thumbtips/sides with some sort of hard plastic cap (again, something that you really need to do with LAX gloves anyways). And I don't mind the medieval look, so long as form is following function. Thanks for your feedback!

John P
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby John P » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:38 pm

We do Italian for longsword but I have stolen a few German master strikes to allow me to strike from outside an expected angle with and our normal measure. During the morning we had a gruesome looking looking hand injury. It looked like the bone had come out of the tip of his ring finger but it turned out to be fat and blood poking out of the hole. the tip of his finger popped like a zit through lacrosse gloves strangely the nail looked ok.

Christopher Wheeler
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Christopher Wheeler » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:56 pm

... I do believe that's one of the worse-sounding things I have ever heard of. What was he wearing?

John P
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby John P » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm

just a standard Lacrosse glove. I think that the pad compressed and squeezed the tip and there was to much material for the skin to hold.

Sean Karp

Postby Sean Karp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Christopher W. wrote:Anyone (especially those who have cross-trained with SCA) have any experience with these?

No but they would not pass SCA regs w/o 1/2" of closed cell padding underneath as it is unhardened leather. Plus the thumb looks sketchy. They also seem a bit pricy for what your getting as Ward Metal only charges about $35 more for some munitions-grade mild steel gauntlets, and Bokalo's Armoury charges $35 more as well for their aluminum Manatee gauntlets. Also you can get a do-it-yourself gauntlet kit in mild steel from Zweihammer Armoury for only $67.

Truthfully I would not trust my hands to the By the Sword ones for anything more than light, slow swordwork while I would trust Bokalo, Ward Metal, or Zweihammer for anything up to, and including, a very stout blow to the hands by a KSCA.

Oh... and your right about the thumb thing. It has happened a few times, but fairly good gauntlets (read- Pricy) allow the thumb full range of motion and no more. That is difficult & time consuming to do well thus the folks that can charge appropriately. However safe and mostly full range is a lot easier and thus cheaper.

@ John: You really need to see this thread on the Armour Archive- http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132567

-Sean
SCA Heavy Combat Marshal & Fighter.
"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent

Jeremy S.
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremy S. » Thu May 19, 2011 5:45 am

Sharing my love for all things sharp and pointy
Western Swordsmanship Technique and Research
HEMA Alliance

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremiah Smith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:25 pm

ok everyone so here is my latest and most successful attempt at a hema glove should look and behave like.

composite, leather, abs plastic and a work glove made of nylon elastic material

since the actual articulated pieces are stuck in there pretty good instead of getting them out here is a demonstration of where they sit just to give you a feel.

they work exactly the same as the Supercrosse an gait mayhem fingers but they are made of 1/8" ABS glued together with a leather strap and padded with 1/8" foam. Also on the index and little fingers the plastic and padding wrap around the side of the fingers to encase them all the way to the sword grip. and the tips of all the fingers extend out enough to completely encase the tip of the finger.

and here is what it looks like gripping the sword with various grips.

ok so far pro's
never been hurt with it on even in some pretty intense drilling and sparring with both steel and nylon. I even took a full on edge full speed blow to the first knuckle on my middle finger and barely felt it. over all the protection has been excellent for the fingers large knuckles and the back of my hand/wrist.
everything moves more or less like I am wearing mx gloves.
not as bulky as my lacrosse gloves and not as heavy as a steel gaunt.(though this is only an assumption as I have never worn one)

cons. A little stiff in the finger movement but not noticeable once you get going.
still bulkier then my mx gloves
the large metatarsal on the thumb should be better protected
the sides of the thumb could be better protected although I have had some pretty serious "mistake" type blows hit my thumb and I didnt notice really
so far they are pretty ugly,

however the pics dont really do them justice and while they are far from production quality I think this is a good place to start.

comment and questions please

x-posting to equipment as well
Salt Lake City, Study group leader
True Edge Academy
http://www.trueedgeacademy.com/
Member HEMA Alliance

Jean Chandler

Postby Jean Chandler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:11 am

I like it. We have done something similar to this now and I'll try to get some photos up as soon as i can.

J

Jess Rozek

Postby Jess Rozek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 am

Ugly? I think they look pretty bad a**!

Will you sell these some day?
"and so quickly take his head, thus have you done it rightly..."
- Joachim Meyer, 1570

Grünberg Freifechters
Meyer Freifechter Guild, Vermont

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member